Tuesday 19 April 2011

In Memory of a Fine Hunter

This past weekend my good friend Gerry Todd died after a few months bravely battling an illness in the hospital.  This morning I have been walking around the house, reflecting on our loss. Close to the end of his life his heavily medicated condition was causing him to hallucinate and he imagined flocks of geese flying through his hospital room. Gerry lived to walk in the forest and paddle a canoe on the water. He was as great a hunter as any. 
Gerry hunted and found meaning and was not afraid to walk an unbroken path in life.  The life of a hunter can be a difficult one at times but well worth the effort for those that have the vision to open themselves to the experience.
The images you see below...
A small canoe paddle
Some bone and feathers
And my rocking chair and snowshoes with arrows sitting in the morning sunlight....
These are things I think about when I think about the loss of my good friend.
Gerry you will always be remembered when ever the wind blows or the birds call...
Gone but not forgotten....

-Martin




3 comments:

Astrid said...

this is perfect in every way. He was an amazing man and will surely never be forgotten.
<3

Unknown said...

Well said, true friends are never forgotten !

a blog about the little things said...

As Astrid said, this is perfect in every way. I love that you can see Gerry in a small canoe paddle and a wooden chair.
Much love to you & to Gerry, a man I never knew, but through your family knew he was a Unique.