Sunday 4 March 2012

Live to hunt....hunt to live

It's hard for me to believe but the effort I have been making to get a new bow 
has finally paid itself off!


It's been over a year of emails, backorders, phone calls, miscommunication and confusion...
This journey started quite a few years ago when I bought a "Bear Bow" at a yard sale.
I like to say that this was the first time I met "Fred Bear"...
The bow fit my grip like it was made for my hand...
It can be difficult to find a bow that fits well and fit is an important factor in how you shoot...
Bear Bows have an interesting history... founded by Fred Bear
a contemporary archery pioneer and long time role model of mine.
The idea of hunting with Bear equipment has long appealed to me because of both their history and feel.
Fast forward to an archery convention and marketplace held in Kalamazoo Michigan 2011.
I was attending the event to hear G. Fred Asbell talk (he is a living traditional archery icon)
I intended to try shooting a Bear "Super Grizzly" recurve at the marketplace of vendors attending the show and possibly buy one. My old Bear bow was a weather worn antique that was at the end of its life. It was time for a new bow.
Sometimes a plan is only a plan until another plan develops that is better than the first...
That pretty much describes that day when I shot the Bear Grizzly and also their newly released version of  the takedown recurve Fred designed in 1969...
There was an archery range set up at the show where the public could try different bows and I remember shooting both bows with my good friend and hunting pal "Cap"...
I almost split a couple of arrows at 20 yards with the takedown and its feeling impressed me...It was almost like it was a part of my hand....
Almost twice the price of the "Grizzly" this takedown was beyond my  budget...
As fate had it that day I found out that indeed I could afford the bow if I was prepared to wait and order it through an industry discount I qualify for...
If you scout my past posts you can read a bit about what followed me placing my order...
What seemed like a simple purchase dissolved into a mess of confusion...
At one point I had my order in hand and couldn't open the box because of mixup with a customs broker!
Last weekend I drove to Detroit and finally picked up my new bow...
A Bear Takedown with one set of 50lb. limbs, one set of 55lb. limbs and a quiver that Fred Bear designed too (he pioneered the modern bow quiver that attaches to a bow).
Live to hunt...hunt to live!






-Martin

1 comment:

Astrid said...

I'm so glad you got your bow dad! Its a beautiful thing and I'm so so happy for you. Lovely post!

xo