Wednesday 23 May 2012

Joy and Sorrow


Last weekend was full of joy and sorrow...

On the joyful side... yard sales have hit their seasonal stride.
This means more flashlights for flashlight friday and also some new finds for the shop and home.
I am working on reviving a mini mac chainsaw purchased over the weekend to use as a climbing saw and now have a new vice for the workbench too.  A fine guitar to learn some Johnny Cash ballads on was also a weekend find...

Sadly though after a enjoyable and productive day out, on the drive home, I came across a car that had just crashed into a truck parked at the side of the road. 
What was left of the front part of the vehicle was smoking and the driver, the lone occupant, was deceased, mutilated horribly by the  impact.
The events that followed me calling the accident in to emergency services on my phone are a blur of sirens and sickly smelling smoke...
The police closed down the road for 6 hours that day trying to figure out what happened and extract this poor fellow from his car. 

I didn't know this man...

The media reporting the event say he was a well known actor and comedian...
A friend I met the other day apparently knew him well...

I am still trying to understand myself what happened that day...
It seems to me so random and senseless...


Here is a British Miners light that I bought over the weekend...
It is lit in memory of  Paul O'Sullivan, the man in the car...
May you rest in peace...



-Martin




1 comment:

a blog about the little things said...

Oh, Martin. I am so sorry that you witnessed such a horrific accident; such a trauma!
I knew Paul O'Sullivan from a few years ago, when he and his wife Linda were starting up their new school. He was a man full of life and humour.
It's beautiful that you lit your Miners lamp in his memory; I hope its light will help heal the memory of what you saw, too.
much love!