Monday 30 April 2012

Food for the spirit

Last weekend a friend invited me to come up to his farm for a visit and a hunt...
Both of us were supposed to have gone up north with a larger group to work in the bush but a family illness in the group prevented this from happening...
A visit to the farm was an opportunity that arose from cancelled plans.
It's turkey season...
The fields are greening...
The turkeys are calling... and the bugs are only beginning to assert themselves...




Turkey hunting to me is about...
Getting up at 4:30 am
Watching the sun come up in the fields and forests...
Feeling the land come back to life after a long winter...


And enjoying the wildlife...


The challenge of calling turkeys...


And sometimes curious deer...


And quiet...

Although the weekend didn't produce any food for the table....
Time with friends and the forest ... was well timed food for my spirit...

-Martin





3 comments:

Andrew von Zuben said...

Hey Martin,
It looks beautiful out on the fields.
That looks like an 870 you have there.
You know, they make a four inch diameter broadhead for Turkeys. I figured you'd use something quiet and not a shoulder puncher.
I hope you get your man!

Martin said...

Andrew
Yes, thats an 870 and yes I could have shot a bird with a bow. Shot a flying duck with an arrow a year ago and split an arrow with a wood bow too...Wouldn't need a "guillotine cutter" to do the job either...don't like them...they slice the heads right off..."overkill" for the job in my mind
That really wasn't the point of the weekend...it was more about the journey itself. The reason we brought the guns was actually because we had Brian's son with us and there just is not a lot of room in most blinds for the "sticks" and more than one person...

Martin

Andrew von Zuben said...

It's good you can hit a flying duck with an arrow.
You should teach me to hit a flying duck with shotgun rounds. Or at least with one of three that go out my muzzle when a duck flies by.
For me, hunting is always about the journey.
If it was about bringing game home consistently, I would have abandoned it years ago.