Monday 9 July 2012

Just a reminder



Here is a reminder...
Actually,  potentially here are 48 reminders set 5 minutes apart in a 12 hour time span...

This is my 
James 
"Remind-O-Timer"
that I recently discovered at a yard sale.



Designed by a cab driver in San Francisco to remind him when to pick up a number of regular fares.
 This clock mechanism has been a long time hotel favourite, used for "reminding" front desk staff about  customer wake up calls...
Train stations used them to warn riders of departures and industry used them to let workers know when to go to lunch and when to get back to work...

Slide any of the 48 pins ,that surround the clock face, into position and the clock will buzz when that time is reached. Its an elaborate alarm clock capable of multiple reminders throughout the day or night. You can also plug a much louder bell into the back of the clock which will ring on time as well.

I don't know if hotels still use these clocks...
My guess is no...I would figure that they have long since switched to digital technologies like most of the planet...

I am an analog holdout, captivated by machines with moving mechanisms..
Maybe these devices are a comfort to me because I grew up with them, or maybe its my fascination with  their "retro feel"  and their simpler "non disposable" technologies that could be fixed when broken, but
when it comes to time, I like to see it move ...
"around the clock"


-Martin

No comments: