Tuesday 3 July 2012

A new hat for the bush

A good hat for the bush is a simple thing of beauty!
It will shade your head from the sun...
Shield your head from the bugs...
Stay on in a wind...
Keep your head warm in the cold...
and if you get hot...
You should be able to dip it in the river and then wear it wet for comfort...
(the effect caused by the evaporation of  water will cool you down while it dries off)

I like a hat with some provenance and am not adverse to finding one used...
Just such a hat came to me  last week and has now become one of my favourites...


Its an Akubra "Snowy River"
Stockman's hat that is well worn and bush ready...
Made of rabbit fur felt in Australia its already slightly discoloured from the sun...
A hat you don't have to worry about keeping immaculate because its already worn...
Perfect!


Yesterday I stuck a couple of feathers on the band that I recently found while out walking the dogs...


Until I need it next I will hang it on a chair post like this other well worn hat of mine...


Do you have a favourite old hat of your own?

-Martin






No comments: