Tuesday 28 June 2011

Food For Thought


A few months ago I went to a friends for a weekend visit and to participate in a field day he was presenting to the community on the subject of wildlife management.
Wildlife used to manage itself very well on its own before our society became a burden on it and now, sometimes, it can use some help.
That day I learned about creating  forest food plots  for deer. 
The idea seemed like a responsible act in conservation.
At the time I talked about it with my friend Brian and indicated an interest in maybe making a forest food plot on my own property. Who better to talk about it with than  Brian who is a farmer/scientist and  is very familiar with what needs to be done in order to plant one of these special food and shelter sources for wildlife.
Well yesterday morning I got a text message from Brian. He was going to be in my area planting an agricultural test plot and would have his tractor with him and would I like to get that plot planted.
My answer was sure!
What you see below is the result....


A driveway full of gear




An overgrown field





The first pass with tractor and discs



Some more weight on the discs 



Soil ready for fertilizer



Seeds to sow






A planted plot and 
two friends....

-Martin






1 comment:

Astrid said...

I love this so much dad :) It looks so fantastic and I had such a good time on the ATV helping you <3