Wednesday 8 June 2011

Breaking new ground


So where have I been?
Yes the blog has been silent for a while because I have been busy out in the forest.
Below are some morel mushrooms that I found recently. They are a favourite wild food of mine that I find in the forest in early spring.  You have to hunt hard to find them but the rewards for the effort are well worth it. Cooked with butter they are delicious. 





Recently I made a new friend, Grant,  who invited me up to Northern Quebec to assess the moose population in a remote area.  The mosquitos were so thick that I had to wear  a bug jacket for most of my stay. In 2 days of walking the bush I encountered 4 moose in a 5 mile square area with sign indicating the presence of 2 others. Sign (tracks and scat ) of bear and deer were also found.
Below an archery friend Lindsay who came along is sitting on an  abandoned old beaver house. When the beavers were active here the whole area was flooded with water held by a dam they constructed. Once the beavers cut down the deciduous trees in the area they left for new feeding grounds and this once pond became the moose pasture you see below.


Mosquitos feeding on my hand


1500 kilometers of shoreline on this remote lake


Self portrait and Lindsay steering our boat.
This area is so remote you can only access it by water.


Always hunting....

-Martin

No comments: