Sunday 22 May 2011

Kindred Spirits

This past weekend was one of the biggest yard sale weekends of the season . 
There are literally hundreds of sales to go to in my area on this May 24th three day long weekend 
Thursday night, in preparation, I sat down with a map and a list of early listings from the paper, prioritizing the good from the bad, and then on friday morning I reckoned my first list with new listings in two different friday papers, planning out a weekend strategy. 
At 8:30 am friday morning I visited my first sale, a huge fundraiser sale for animal welfare....
There were thousands of items at this sale laid out on tables and in boxes on the ground in a huge parking lot. The air was almost electric with excitement as hundreds of rummager s  simultaneously searched frenetically for treasures. 
You have to be quick to get the deals because if you think about something for too long, someone else will often scoop your item for themselves.
A personal goal for the weekend was to find some more flashlights to talk about on 'flashlight friday's"
Well its true you never know what will happen when you are out visiting garage sales. Thats part of the appeal, the unpredictable aspect of this hunt.
Saturday morning, my second day searching, after visiting a number of less than inspiring sales in a tiny  uninspiring subdivision on one side of Peterborough Ontario, I happened upon a kindred spirit.
Cliff a fellow flashlight fanatic, and coleman lantern collector too was having a garage sale of his own.
This is the first time I have ever met him.  He is humble about his collection and dismisses it as "tinkering in the garage" I think its amazing!
The photos that follow are from the inside of his garage.






-Martin

1 comment:

a blog about the little things said...

I love a kindred spirit moment; it doesn't happen often, so when it does it makes it that much more special!
Y'know what's embarrassing? I didn't realize it was the LAWS yard sale this weekend! I feel like I missed Christmas.
The yard sales I did make it to were uninspiring. I would have enjoyed meeting Cliff, with his lovely collections. xo!