Sunday 24 June 2012

Fishing for Supper

Bass season opened up this weekend and today I decided to take the rod out and get some dinner.

The weather today was slightly overcast with light rain...
Just the kind of weather that I like to fish in...
Not too hot... and the fish are often interested in lures that are fished along the top of the water. 
"Top water lures" incite fish to jump at them as they see them skimming along the top of the water  from below.  Its very visual with a lot of action...usually provoking fish to hit lures hard, boiling out of the water after a meal. 
The lure you see below is called a 
"Popper"
because you fish it by using a "popping action" when you retrieve it after casting. 



I like to shore fish... with the challenge of climbing over wet rocks and fallen logs to find a nice river side spot to cast my line and try my luck...

-

The river rippled with water flowing gently over rocks mid stream as I cast my line and then slowly retrieved it trying different pockets of turbulence and calm for fish. 
Deer flies occasionally buzzed by and fish were caught and released throughout the afternoon as I worked my way down the riverside.
An hour or so into fishing I snagged my line on a partially submerged tree and decided to go in for a swim and recover it.
The water was warm and the fishing was great!



Here are a few fish that came home with me for dinner. 
Actively participating in the food-chain makes for a very meaningful meal...



-Martin



No comments: