Saturday 23 June 2012

New Knives from old

Its always exciting to get a new knife!
Today I found these unwanted knives in a box of bric-a-brac at a yardsale.
I rescued them to restore and use.
There is something special about a tool you can carry and use for utility that is both visually appealing and has a story behind it...
Knives in particular...



When I got home I was going to put these guys in my home made  "battery charger electrolytic metal cleaner" but somebody used up the arm and hammer washing powder, that I normally keep for mixing into my secret  metal cleaning mediium, for washing clothes instead!
(more about this metal cleaner after I replenish my supplies)

Wanting to use at least one of these knives today ...
I took the knife best suited to helping me prepare dinner...washed it off...gave the blade a quick touch up and headed to the kitchen...



If knives could be happy I would say this knife was very happy... back in action...saved from a junk box and in the kitchen, given one of the hardest jobs in food preparation...finely slicing tomatoes!



And Voila...


Dinner is served!



-Martin





2 comments:

Andrew von Zuben said...

The best thing about old knives is that they were most often made out of superior steel.
Most everything nowadays has too much nickel in it to allow a razor sharp edge.

Astrid said...

looks great! someones eating yummy food ;)